- Streamlined three-stage 32-bit ARM® Cortex processor
- Optimized for implementation in FPGAs, targets Altera® Cyclone® III FPGAs
- SOPC Builder ready
- Low-cost ARM Cortex-M1 Development Kit, including the ARM RealView Microcontroller Development Kit
- Supported by a wide variety of tools and operating systems in the ARM Connected Community
- Streamlined licensing process
- Easy migration path to ARM processor roadmap
- Tightly coupled memories for rapid access to on-chip block RAM
- Integrated configurable interrupt controller
- Enhanced RTOS support with integrated system timer
- Optional debug, breakpoint, and watchpoint unit
The Cortex-M1 processor is a streamlined, three-stage, 32-bit RISC processor that implements the popular, high-density Thumb®-2 instruction set. This enables both the processor and software footprint to meet the area budget of the smallest FPGAs, while retaining compatibility with Thumb code for any ARM processor from the ARM7TDMI® processor upwards. Despite being the smallest processor in the Cortex processor family, the Cortex-M1 processor delivers 0.8 DMIPS per MHz. The Cortex-M1 processor enables OEMs to leverage their expertise on ARM architectures across FPGAs, HardCopy® ASICs, and discrete devices.
The ARM Cortex-M1 Development Kit for Altera Cyclone III FPGAs provides OEMs with the tools necessary to design an ARM processor-based system. The ARM Cortex-M1 processor is delivered in encrypted, SOPC Builder tool-compatible intellectual property (IP) format in the ARM Cortex-M1 Development Kit. This enables OEMs to integrate the Cortex-M1 processor with other system components rapidly, using the popular Altera Quartus® II development software, including the SOPC Builder tool. The kit also provides the ARM RealView Microcontroller Development Kit for all embedded development needs. The Cortex-M1 processor also benefits from the broad and growing support of tools and RTOS vendors in the ARM Connected Community.
To streamline the IP licensing process, the Cortex-M1 Development Kit features a click-through End User License Agreement that gives OEMs the rights to create unlimited Cortex-M1 processor-based designs within a 1-year term. The license provides perpetual implementation rights for these designs, and includes a free 1,000 unit royalty grant which can be extended quickly and easily on a pay-as-you-go basis.
Device Utilization and Performance
Table 1 lists the typical device utilization results for the megafunction.
|Table 1. Typical Device Utilization for the Megafunction|
|Target Device||Speed Grade||Utilization
|Cyclone III||-6||2,600||100 MHz||System timer
The Cortex-M1 Development Kit for Altera Cyclone III FPGAs includes the Cortex-M1 processor IP, the RealView Microcontroller Development Kit, example hardware system designs, a 1-year right to use the Cortex-M1 processor in new designs, and a free 1,000 unit royalty grant. You can obtain the kit from Arrow's ARM Solutions.