The MP32 processor is the industry’s first 100 percent MIPS®-compatible soft processor that is optimized for Altera® FPGAs. The flexible, applications-class processor brings the MIPS ecosystem of software and tools, as well as Altera's embedded intellectual property (IP) cores and Qsys system integration flow, to your custom embedded systems. With these design resources, you can accelerate development of MIPS-based custom embedded systems that are highly integrated, low cost, and low power.
The Qsys system integration tool, in particular, lets you quickly and easily build custom solutions by integrating single or multi-core MP32 processors with Altera's broad portfolio of embedded, video, and networking IP cores, plus your own custom IP.
Altera has partnered with industry-leading vendors—the Altera® Embedded Alliance—to provide best-in-class development tools and software to accelerate your embedded development process.
- Use the MIPS Navigator ICS or Wind River's Workbench software development suite to develop your software application.
- Reuse legacy software application code and available middleware for the VxWorks real-time operating system. The MP32 processor is the first and only soft processor to support VxWorks.
When targeted for FPGAs, the MP32 processor is offered with a royalty-free, perpetual-use license model with an unlimited number of processor cores per design. The core is available from Altera Embedded Alliance partner, System Level Solutions, Inc. (SLS).
- 100 percent MIPS compliant
- MIPS 4KEc-based feature set
- Leverages MIPS software and tools ecosystem
- VxWorks OS
- Wind River Workbench Software Development Suite
- Lauterbach Trace32 support
- Entry-level applications-class soft processor
- Memory management unit
- Configurable instruction and data cache
- Stand-alone eJTAG IP core for processor debug
- Optimized for efficient resource utilization and performance on Altera's FPGAs
- Supports Cyclone®, Arria®, and Stratix® series FPGAs
- Provides up to 300 DMIPS in Stratix devices and up to 140 DMIPS in Cyclone devices
- Consumes less than 5,500 adaptive logic modules (ALMs) in Stratix devices and less than 8,000 logic elements in Cyclone devices
- Inherits all embedded, networking, and video IP available with Qsys
- Perpetual-use, royalty-free, unlimited number of cores for FPGA usage