To use the Altera University Program embedded systems materials, you need to install the following software, in the following order:
- Quartus II software
- Nios II Embedded Design Suite (EDS). This package includes the assembler and compiler (GCC) for the Nios II processor.
- University Program Installer. This package includes the Altera Monitor Program software.
- (Optional) ModelSim simulation software.
Descriptions of Required Tools
Quartus II Software
The Altera® Quartus® II software is required for performing both the University Program digital logic laboratory exercises, and the embedded systems organization exercises. There are two versions of Quartus II software:
- Quartus II Web Edition: this version of the software can be downloaded from Altera's web site and used free of charge, without the need for a license. It provides a complete CAD system that supports all phases of the design flow for FPGAs, and includes full support for most Altera FPGA families. The Quartus II Web Edition is the version of the software that should be downloaded for use by students on their home computers. Click here to download the Quartus II Web Edition software.
- Quartus II Subscription Edition: this version of the software includes full support for all Altera devices. It can be downloaded from Altera's web site, but requires a license in order to be used. The Altera University Program does not provide licenses for the Suscription Edition for home use by students, but it does provide these licenses to professors and course instructors for use in university laboratory facilities. Click here to download the Quartus II Subscription Edition software. Quartus II Subscription Edition licenses can be requested by clicking here.
ModelSim - Altera
A number of versions of the ModelSim simulation software are available. The version provided by Altera, which is called ModelSim-Altera, is packaged with full support for Altera FPGAs. If using the Quartus II Subscription Edition, then ModelSim-Altera is included in the installation package. If using the Quartus II Web Edition, then ModelSim-Altera can be downloaded by clicking here.
Nios II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
The Nios II Embedded Design Suite (EDS) is required to perform the University Program embedded systems laboratory exercises. The EDS includes the C compiler and assembler tools that are needed to compile C and assembly language programs for the Nios II processor. The Nios II EDS can be downloaded here.
Altera University Program Installer
The material contained in the Altera University Program Installer is required to perform the University Program computer embedded systems exercises. It includes:here.