Our certified Safety Integrity Level 3 (SIL3) Functional Safety Data Package shortens IEC 61508 development time and reduces certification risks in safety-critical industrial applications, such as industrial servo and inverter drives, safety devices, and automation controllers. Our customers have been using the Package since 2010 for industrial applications as well as automotive applications certified for ISO 26262, medical equipment, and military and aerospace systems. Figure 1 shows a typical dual-channel SIL3 industrial "safe" system implemented with two FPGAs. Contact your local Altera representative for more information and access to the IP-ABG-SafetyDP2 (1 year) or the IPR-ABG-SafetyDP2 (renewal) packages.
Figure 1. A Typical Dual-Channel SIL3 Industrial "Safe" System Implemented with Two FPGAs
TÜV-Qualified Safety Data Package Contents
- Guidelines on how to use the approved Altera FPGA development methodology and tools to design IEC 61508 certifiable systems
- FPGA register transfer level (RTL) coding guidelines and recommendations
- Functional Safety Silicon Integration application note, showing how to qualify devices using the reliability report
- Functional Safety Tools and Tool Flow application note, showing how to use Quartus II software and develop FPGA systems according to IEC 61508
- Diagnostic IP with IEC 61508 standard documentation and source code to monitor the integrity of the FPGA, memory, and clock signals
- Comprehensive guidelines on using the data to correctly calculate failure in time (FIT) rates of FPGA devices and systems required for safety certification
- Latest FPGA device reliability reports
- TÜV Rheinland qualification certificate
Qualification data at the FPGA device level means you can benefit from the flexibility of FPGAs without having to provide the required data and assessment for the IEC 61508 or equivalent standards. Normally, you have to collect and document device and tool data for submission to the assessor. With Altera's Functional Safety Data Package, the device qualification process has been done for you. According to some of our customers, you can reduce system development time by up to two years from start to certification. TÜV is one assessor, and their standards are honored by the network of functional safety assessors.
The RTL coding guidelines can be used to improve code quality and reliability while helping to comply with requirements in the IEC 61508 standard.
Assessing your design for safety certification can be seamless. By following and adopting our FPGA-based certified design flow and methodology, as well as utilizing the included checklists, you can ensure high-quality project management and provision of the right project documentation.
To learn more about functional safety, please download the Developing Functional Safety Systems with TÜV-Qualified FPGAs (PDF) white paper and Reducing Steps to Achieve Safety Certification (PDF) white paper.
- Solution sheet: Qualified Functional Safety Data Package (PDF)
- White paper: A Validated Methodology for Designing Safe Industrial Systems on a Chip (PDF)
- White paper: Reducing Steps to Achieve Safety Certification (PDF)
- White paper: A Flexible Solution for Industrial Ethernet (PDF)
- Video: 4 Reasons Why FPGAs are Right for Motor Control
- Webcast: 3 Reasons to Use FPGAs in Industrial Applications
- Webcast: Achieve Lower Total Cost of Ownership for Industrial Designs