- Ordering information
- Example processor systems
- Nios II system architect design tutorial
- Design examples and demos
- Evaluation kit contents
- Update instructions
The Nios® II Embedded Evaluation Kit (NEEK), Cyclone® III Edition makes evaluating Altera's embedded solutions easier than ever. You can evaluate a dozen different processor systems targeting the low-cost, low-power Cyclone III FPGA by simply using the LCD color-touch panel to scroll through and load your demo of choice.
The NEEK, Cyclone III Edition comes with a comprehensive suite for software development—the Nios II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)—as well as sample Nios II processor systems that include full source code.
Figure 1. NEEK, Cyclone III Edition
Choose Thumbnail to View Larger
Tables 1 and 2 list the ordering code and pricing information for the NEEK, Cyclone III Edition and the kit upgrade license.
|Table 1. NEEK, Cyclone III Edition Ordering Code and Pricing Information|
|Ordering Code||Price||Ordering Information|
||Purchase online via Altera's eStore or contact your local Altera® distributor to place your order.|
Intellectual property (IP) licenses are sold separately. You may still install and start designing with any Altera IP core via the OpenCore Plus (PDF) simulation and hardware evaluation feature.
|Table 2. Embedded IP Suite|
|Ordering Code||Price||Ordering Information|
This IP suite includes all the IP you need to ship a standard Nios II processor design. Upgrade your kit with this perpetual-use, royalty-free license bundle for embedded design.
Table 3 lists additional downloads for NEEK, Cyclone III Edition.
|Table 3. Additional Downloads for the NEEK, Cyclone III Edition|
|Nios II 3C25 Microprocessor System with LCD Controller (PDF) data sheet||Full system description of the Nios II EP3C25 microprocessor system with LCD controller|
Table 4 lists the downloads for the Nios II system architect design tutorial.
|Table 4. Downloads for Nios II System Architect Design Tutorial|
|Nios II System Architect Design Tutorial (PDF)||This tutorial teaches you how to use SOPC Builder, the Quartus II software, and the Nios II EDS to implement a digital picture viewer targeted for the NEEK|
|Design files||Design files for the Nios II system architect design tutorial|
The Nios II standard processor system is the default hardware image that boots up on your NEEK. The system has been put together using SOPC Builder and can be a starting point for your own Nios II processor system design.
The following design examples include the source code and design files. This is a great way to see examples of software drivers for various hardware peripherals on your board.
Table 5 lists the designs available for the NEEK, Cyclone III Edition.
|Table 5. Designs Available for NEEK, Cyclone III Edition|
|Application selector utility||Select and load designs from a Secure Digital (SD) card|
|Picture viewer||View photos stored on the SD card|
|Web server and remote FPGA configuration||Control aspects of the board through a web page including remote configuration of the FPGA|
You can load ready-to-run SD card demos using the application selector utility. The demos are provided to showcase Altera's embedded partners for operating systems, middleware, IP, and software tools. These demos are provided in binary format only. Full Quartus II development software projects, source code, IP licensing, and others can be obtained by contacting the partner listed.
Table 6 lists the ready-to-run SD card demo designs available for NEEK, Cyclone III Edition.
|Table 6. Ready-to-Run SD Card Demos|
|SLS uCLinux Demo (1)||Demo for running the uCLinux operating system (OS) with a board support package (BSP) from SLS|
|Planetweb SpectraWorks Digital Photo Frame (1)||Digital Photo Frame application showcasing SpectraWorks from Planetweb|
|Planetweb SpectraWorks GUI Feature Demo||SpectraWorks GUI builder demo from Planetweb|
|Planetweb Menu Demo (1)||SpectraWorks GUI menu demo from Planetweb|
|IMAGEM Taquin Game (1)||Graphics and video demo from IMAGEM Technology|
|IMAGEM aPhone (1)||Mobile phone graphics and video demo from IMAGEM Technology|
|IMAGEM Avionics (1)||Avionic display demo from IMAGEM Technology|
|IMAGEM Instrumentation (1)||Instrumentation display demo from IMAGEM Technology|
|TES D/AVE Graphics Accelerator Demo (1)||Graphics accelerator demo from TES Electronic Solutions|
|Altia Red Touch Screen HMI for D/AVE (1)||Advanced touch-screen human-machine interface (HMI) application created for the TES D/AVE engine|
|Altia Blue Touch Screen HMI for D/AVE (1)||Advanced touch-screen HMI application created for the TES D/AVE engine|
|Micriµm µC/GUI Demo (1)||Graphics software module demo from Micrium|
|Micriµm Products Demo (1)||Micrium product portfolio demo|
|UNEEK Picture Viewer||Picture viewer design example|
|MP3 Player||Touch-screen MP3 Player example|
|Video and Image Processing Suite Demo||Altera's Video and Image Processing Suite demo|
|More designs||Additional designs available from Altera and software partners|
|Altera Wiki||Download and share designs with the user community|
- Design supported by Altera's software partner
Get the latest ready-to-run SD card demos by downloading them from this site and adding them to the SD card that comes with the kit. You can also build your own ready-to-run SD card demos and share them via the NEEK section on the Altera Wiki.
Check the Nios II embedded processor design example page to see all available new designs and download them to your kit today.
The NEEK, Cyclone III Edition consists of the Cyclone III FPGA Starter Kit and an LCD or VGA high-speed mezzanine card (HSMC). It features:
- Cyclone III starter board
- Cyclone III EP3C25F324 FPGA
- Embedded USB-Blaster™ circuitry (includes an Altera EPM3128A CPLD) allowing download of FPGA configuration files via your USB port
- Power and analog devices from Linear Technology
- Switching power supply LTM4603EV-1
- Switching and step-down regulators LTC3413, LT1959
- 32 MB of DDR SDRAM
- 1 MB of synchronous SRAM
- 16 MB of Intel P30/P33 flash
- 50-MHz, on-board oscillator
- Switches and indicators
- Six push buttons total, four user controlled
- Seven LEDs total, four user controlled
- LCD daughtercard
- Color LCD touch-screen display
- 800 x 480 resolution
- 24-bit CD-quality audio coder/decoder (CODEC) with line-in, line-out, and microphone-in jacks
- 10/100 Ethernet physical layer/media access control (PHY/MAC)
- VGA output
- Composite TV-in
- Audio-out, audio-in, and microphone-in
- SD card
- Serial connector (RS-232 DB9 port)
- Ethernet connector (RJ-45)
- Color LCD touch-screen display
- NEEK CD-ROM
- Example applications
- Application selector
- Picture viewer
- Mandelbrot acceleration with the Nios II C2H Acceleration Compiler
- Web server and remote FPGA configuration
- Hardware tutorials
- Create an FPGA design in one hour
- Build a 32-bit soft processor system inside an FPGA
- Software tutorials
- My First Software Application
- Complete documentation
- Quick start guide
- User guide
- Reference manual
- Board schematic, layout, and BOM
- Product and partner information
- Example applications
- Cables and accessories
- 128 MB SD card and USB-to-SD card adapter
- USB cable
- 9 V power supply
- International power cords
- Ethernet (RJ-45) cable (7 ft.)
- Ethernet crossover adapter
- Altera Complete Design Suite (download from Altera Download Center)
- Quartus II Web Edition software (FPGA design software)
- ModelSim®-Altera Web Edition (FPGA simulation software from ModelSim)
- Nios II EDS (32-bit microprocessor software)
- MicroC/OS-II real-time operating system evaluation
- Nios II C2H Acceleration Compiler evaluation
- NicheStack TCP/IP Network Stack - Nios II Edition evaluation
- SD/MMC SPI IP Core evaluation licensing available through El Camino
- MegaCore IP Library (library of IP cores)
Table 7 lists the documents available for the NEEK, Cyclone III Edition.
|Table 7. Documents Available for the NEEK, Cyclone III Edition|
|User Guide (PDF)||Information about setting up the NEEK, Cyclone III Edition development board and using the included software||1.2.0|
|(Updated) One-click to download entire development kit documentation, includes the Quick Start Guide, user guide, reference manual, BOM, layout files, schematics, board test system design example, SD card contents, and ready-to-run design examples||12.1.0 (1)|
|(Archive) One-click to download entire development kit documentation, includes the Quick Start Guide, user guide, reference manual, BOM, layout files, schematics, board test system design example, SD card contents, and ready-to-run design examples||12.0.0 (2)|
|(Archive) One-click to download entire development kit documentation, includes the Quick Start Guide, user guide, reference manual, BOM, layout files, schematics, board test system design example, SD card contents, and ready-to-run design examples
Conversion of application selector example design from SOPC-based to Qsys-based design
|(Archive) One-click to download entire development kit documentation, includes the Quick Start Guide, user guide, reference manual, BOM, layout files, schematics, board test system design example, SD card contents, and ready-to-run design examples||11.0.0 (4)|
- This installation runs with Quartus II software version 12.1.0.
- This installation runs with Quartus II software version 12.0.0.
- This installation runs with Quartus II software version 11.1.0.
- This installation runs with Quartus II software version 11.0.0.
- This installation runs with Quartus II software version 10.1.0.
- This installation runs with Quartus II software version 9.1.2.
Includes new design examples listed below and SD card demos. See below for step-by-step update instructions.
The NEEK installer update includes new design examples, demos, and documentation. To update your Neek, follow these steps:
- The update requires Quartus II software and the Nios II EDS or above. Download and install if you haven't already.
- Install the NEEK installer update pack from Table 7.
- The new SD card demos are located in your Quartus II install directory similar to this:
Loading SD Card Demos
To load all the SD card demos, copy the contents of the following directory to your SD card:
Updating the Application Selector Utility
The application selector utility has been updated with a new look and now supports remote system update from Ethernet. To update your application selector utility, follow the directions in the Restoring the Original Flash Image chapter of the user guide. Use the design files in the following directory: \altera\<version>\kits\cycloneIII_3c25_niosII\factory_recovery\flash_contents