Features and Description
The Reed-Solomon (RS) compiler offers a fully parameterizable RS coder and RS decoder. RS coder/decoders (CODECs) are widely used for error detection and correction in a wide range of digital signal processing (DSP) applications for storage, retrieval, and transmission of data.
The RS compiler has the following options:
- Erasures-supporting option—the RS decoder can correct symbol errors up to the number of check symbols, if you give the location of the errors to the decoder
- Variable encoding or decoding—you can vary the total number of symbols per codeword and the number of check symbols, in real time, from their minimum allowable values up to their selected values, when you are encoding or decoding
- Error symbol output—the RS decoder finds the error values and location and adds these values in the Galois field to the input value
- Bit-error output—either split count or full count
The RS Compiler generates a fully parameterizable RS function, allowing you to set the following parameters:
- Number of bits per symbol
- Number of symbols per codeword
- Number of check symbols per codeword
- Field polynomial
- First root of generator polynomial
- Space between roots in generator polynomial
The RS function offers the following other features:
- Decoder features:
- Variable option
- Encoder features variable architectures
- Support for shortened codewords
- Conforms to Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems (CCSDS) Recommendations for Telemetry Channel Coding, May 1999
- Intellectual property (IP) functional simulation models for use in Altera-supported VHDL and Verilog HDL simulators
- Easy-to-use IP Toolbench interface:
- Generates parameterized encoder or decoder
- Generates customized testbench and customized Tcl script
- DSP Builder ready
Use Altera's free OpenCore Plus Evaluation feature to test drive this IP MegaCore® function.
Performance and Resource Utilization
Typical expected performance and utilization figures for this MegaCore function are provided in the Reed-Solomon Compiler User Guide (PDF).
For technical support on this MegaCore function, please visit the Altera mySupport online issue tracking system.