To create a new project in the Quartus® II design software, click New Project Wizard on the File menu. Figure 1 shows the New Project Wizard introductory screen.
Figure 1. New Project Wizard
In the New Project Wizard, you will define the following:
- Project name and directory
- Name of top-level design component or entity
- This must be an actual component or entity in your design. If you create a name that is not a component or entity, your design will fail to compile.
- Design files to be used in the project
- The New Project Wizard will ask you to specify any existing design files and library path names to add to your new project (this is optional). You can create new files at any time using the new window. On the File menu, click New. You can add new files to an existing project. On the Project menu, click Add Current File to Project or on the Project menu, click Add/Remove Files in Project. You can use library path names to reference the location of existing designs or intellectual property (IP) to include in your design.
- Libraries that you will use in your project
- Device family or device
- The New Project Wizard allows you to select a device family (and have the Compiler automatically select a device) or a particular device and package option. You can change this selection at any time later. On the Assignments menu, click Device. Figure 2 shows the Assignments menu, and Figure 3 shows the Settings dialog box.
- EDA tool settings
- The New Project Wizard allows you to specify any third-party EDA tools you may be using and any settings you would like to make to interface to those tools. You can change these settings at any time by clicking EDA Tool Settings on the Assignments menu.
Figure 2. Assignments Menu
Figure 3. Settings Dialog Box