As part of the Altera® initiative to provide enhanced commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) devices for military applications, the temperature range for the Stratix® V device family has been extended to enable operation across the military temperature range (–55°C to 125°C). This extension allows military programs to benefit from the new technology and economies of scale by using commercially available Stratix V FPGAs. Stratix V FPGAs are extremely robust and capable of operating across a wide temperature range with excellent reliability.
The switching characteristic for the Stratix V military temperature grade devices are as follows:
- –3 speed grade for transceiver specification
- –4 speed grade for core and periphery performance
Stratix V military temperature grade device supports the following:
- Internal temperature sensing diode (TSD) range from –40°C to 125°C
- Selected transceiver configuration:
- Gbps Ethernet (Gbe)
- Interlaken for SerialLite III—up to 6 Gbps
- JESD204 A/B—up to 6.375 Gbps
- Serial RapidIO (SRIO)
Military temperature operation requires additional timing margin over industrial temperature operation to compensate for the potentially increased variation of delay across temperature.
Altera recommends that you to use military temperature grade devices for production. However, you may substitute industrial temperature grade for military temperature grade devices during the prototyping phase because of the shorter lead times of the industrial temperature grade devices.
Use the following guidelines to compile your design using industrial or military devices:
- When using military models through industrial devices, select an applicable I4 part code and update the Operating Settings and Conditions dialog box to reflect –55°C (Minimum) and 125°C (Maximum) junction temperatures before compiling or recompiling your design.
- When using military models through military devices, select an applicable M4 part code and compile or recompile your design.
|Item||Device Part Number||Package|
|Industrial Temperature||Military Temperature|
The Stratix V military temperature grade device models are supported in the following versions of these tools:
- The PowerPlay Early Power Estimator or PowerPlay Power Analyzer software, version 14.1 or later.
- The Quartus® Prime software, version 14.1 or later.
|September 2014||2014.09.26||Initial release.|