Altera's Cyclone® II FPGA family is designed on an all-layer-copper, low-k, 1.2-V SRAM process and is optimized for the smallest possible die size. Built on TSMC’s highly successful 90-nm process technology using 300-mm wafers, the Cyclone II FPGA family offers higher densities, more features, exceptional performance, and the benefits of programmable logic at ASIC prices.
The Cyclone II FPGA family extends the reach of FPGAs further into cost-sensitive, high-volume applications, continuing the success of the Cyclone FPGA family. Table 1 outlines the Cyclone II FPGA family's features and availability. Table 2 shows an overview of Cyclone II device packaging and user I/O pin counts. Table 3 shows the appropriate configuration devices to use for Cyclone II FPGAs. Table 4 shows the industrial temperature support for Cyclone II FPGAs.
Designers needing lower costs, more density, and functionality for high-volume applications can take advantage of more advanced device families in this series. These newer Cyclone families strengthen Altera's leadership position in solutions for high-volume, low-cost applications.
Table 1. Cyclone II FPGA Family Overview
|M4K RAM Blocks
(4 kbits + 512 Parity Bits)
|Embedded Memory (Kbits)||117||162||234||234||473||581||1,125|
|18-Bit x 18-Bit Embedded Multipliers||13||18||26||26||35||86||150|
|Maximum User I/O Pins||158||182||315||315||475||450||622|
|Availability||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
|Cyclone II "A"
Fast On Variant (1)
- Certain devices have a Fast On variant that has a faster power-on reset (POR) time. This enables the FPGA to be operational in a shorter period of time than a regular Cyclone II device. These devices are distinguished with an “A” designation in the ordering code (e.g., EP2C8AF256I8N). For questions regarding the specification for these parts, refer to the Cyclone II data sheet. For questions regarding the availability of these parts, contact your Altera®representative.
- The EP2C15 device is only available with the Fast On option as an EP2C15A device.
- EP2C5A devices are only available in automotive-grade versions.
Table 2. Cyclone II Device Packages and Maximum User I/O Pins
(mm x mm)
|144-Pin TQFP (1)
(22 x 22)
|208-Pin PQFP (2)
(30.6 x 30.6)
(32 x 32) (3)
|256-Pin FineLine BGA (4)
(17 x 17)
|484-Pin Ultra FineLine BGA
(19 x 19)
|484-Pin FineLine BGA
(23 x 23)
|672-Pin FineLine BGA
(27 x 27)
|896-Pin FineLine BGA
(31 x 31)
- TQFP = Thin quad flat pack
- PQFP = Plastic quad flat pack
- For preliminary package information, contact Altera sales for additional information and availability
- BGA = Ball-grid array
Table 3. Appropriate Configuration Devices for Cyclone II FPGAs
|Configuration Device||Cyclone II Devices Supported|
Table 4. Cyclone II Device Industrial Temperature Support
- Download Software
- Purchase Development Kits
- View Webcast
- Get Reference Design
- Altera's device information package data sheet
- Differences between Cyclone II and Cyclone III FPGAs
- Purchase Devices
- Get Device Support
- View Knowledge Base
- Join the Altera Forum
- Get Documentation
- Get Handbook (PDF)
- Get Email Updates
- Get Product Catalog (PDF)
- Cyclone II Device Family Data Sheet (PDF)
- Automotive-Grade Devices
- Automotive-Grade Device Handbook (PDF)