The Stratix® III high-performance FPGA family includes two device variants:
- Stratix III L devices focused on logic-rich applications
- Stratix III E devices focused on digital signal processing (DSP)-rich and memory-rich applications
Stratix III FPGAs provide vertical migration, not only within, but across the L and E variants to offer the most flexibility in device selection. For the first time, Stratix III FPGAs can be also used as a migration platform to Stratix IV E devices. AN 557: Stratix III to Stratix IV E Cross-Family Migration Guidelines provides full details on this migration path.
Altera has taken the industry leading architecture of the Stratix high-performance FPGA series and refined it even further for a 65-nm process node. As a result, Stratix III FPGAs are the ideal solution for your next-generation high-end system designs.
Key feature enhancements Stratix III FPGAs offer include:
- The lowest power requirements of any high-performance FPGA—up to 50 percent lower than Stratix II devices, without adding the reliability risk of heatsinks or forced-air cooling
- Higher performance to power next-generation systems—up to a 35 percent gain over Stratix II high-performance FPGAs
- Increased density that lets you integrate more of your product to reduce cost and reduce board space—up to twice the density of Stratix II FPGAs
- Development supported by Quartus® II software—customer-acclaimed as the leading development software in productivity for low-power, high-density, high-performance FPGAs
- High-performance memory interfaces up to 533-MHz DDR3
- LVDS performance up to 1.6 Gbps and support for Serial Gigabit Media Independent Interface (SGMII) on the LVDS I/Os
Stratix III Features
|Key Features||Embedded Processing|
|Connectivity||Market Specific Requirements|
|High-Speed Serial Interfaces|
Table 1. Stratix III Logic-Rich FPGA Family Overview
|Stratix III L Family Variants|
|Adaptive Logic Modules (ALMs)||19,000||27,000||42,600||56,800||79,560||101,760||135,200|
|Equivalent Logic Elements (LEs)||47,500||67,500||106,500||142,000||198,900||254,400||338,000|
|M9K Memory Blocks||108||150||275||355||468||864||1,040|
|M144K Memory Blocks||6||6||12||16||36||48||48|
|Embedded Memory (Kbits)||1,836||2,214||4,203||5,499||9,396||14,688||16,272|
|MLAB Memory (Kbits)||594||844||1,331||1,775||1,250||3,180||4,225|
|18-Bit x 18-Bit Embedded Multipliers (2)||216||288||288||384||576||768||576|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
|F780||480||480||480||480||480 (4)||480 (4)|
Table 2. Stratix III Enhanced FPGA Family Overview
|Stratix III E Family Variants|
|M9K Memory Blocks||400||495||639||864|
|M144K Memory Blocks||12||12||16||48|
|Embedded Memory (Kbits)||5,328||6,183||8,055||14,688|
|MLAB Memory (Kbits)||594||1,000||1,331||3,180|
|18-Bit x 18-Bit Embedded Multipliers (2)||384||672||896||768|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
- The EP3SE260 device (a Stratix III E family variant) provides optimum logic, DSP, and memory for this device density.
- For full details on DSP resources see the Stratix III Digital Signal Processing web page.
- For full package details, see the Altera® Device Package Information.
- The EP3SE260 and EP3SL200 devices use an H780 package, and the EP3SL340 is in an H1152 package to maintain vertical package migration. These packages require a keep-out area to be created to allow for the overhang of the H package.
Table 3. Package Vertical Migration (1)
- All device densities that are available in the same package are vertically migratable (i.e. they share the same VCC, GND, in-system programmables, and dedicated input pins).
- Number of available user I/O pins.
- The EP3SE260 and EP3SL200 devices use an H780 package, and the EP3SL340 is in a H1152 package to maintain vertical package migration. These packages require a keep-out area to be created to allow for the overhang of the H package.
Table 4. Stratix III Device Industrial Temperature Support (1)
-3, -4, -4L
For more details regarding industrial-temperature offerings, contact your local Altera sales office or distributor.