The SerialLite II intellectual property (IP) provides a simple and lightweight way to move data from one point to another reliably at high speeds. It consists of a serial link of up to 16 bonded lanes with logic to provide a number of basic and optional link support functions. The Atlantic™ interface is the primary access for delivering and receiving data.
The SerialLite II protocol specifies a link that is simple to build, uses as little logic as possible, and requires little work to implement. The SerialLite II IP is feature-rich, and can be parameterized through a powerful graphical user interface (GUI).
A link built using the SerialLite II IP can operate from 622 Mbps to 6.375 Gbps per lane. Arria® 10 devices using the SerialLite II IP can operate well above 6.375 Gbps per lane. Link reliability is enhanced by the 8B/10B encoding scheme and optional cyclic redundancy check (CRC) capabilities. Further reductions in the bit-error rate can be achieved using the optional retry-on-error feature. Data rate and consumption mismatches can be accommodated using the optional flow-control feature to ensure that no data is lost.
Note that the Arria 10 and Cyclone® V device families indirectly support the use of SerialLite II IP in the Quartus® software. If your design requires SerialLite II IP on Arria 10 or Cyclone V device, please contact your local sales representative or email us at SLII@altera.com for a special license and easy-to-follow implementation guidelines.
- Physical layer features
- 622 Mbps to 6.375 Gbps per lane (< data rate support for Arria 10 devices)
- Single or multiple lane support (up to 16 lanes)
- 8 bit, 16 bit, or 32 bit datapath per lane
- Symmetric, asymmetric, unidirectional/simplex, or broadcast mode
- Optional payload and idle scrambling / de-scrambling
- Self-synchronizing link state machine
- Channel bonding scalable up to 16 lanes
- Synchronous or asynchronous operation
- Automatic clock rate compensation for asynchronous use
- +/-100 and +/-300 parts per million (ppm)
- Link layer features
- Atlantic interface compliant
- Support for two types of user packets: data packet and priority packet
- Optional packet integrity protection support using CRC-32 or CRC-16
- Optional retry-on-error for priority packets
- Individual port (data/priority) flow control
- Unrestricted data and priority packet size
- Optional link management packets
- Full support of asymmetrical, unidirectional, and broadcast modes at rates up to 3.125 Gbps (please refer to user guide)
- Easy-to-use GUI interface
- IP functional simulation models for use in Intel® FPGA-supported VHDL and Verilog HDL simulators