EM2120xQI: 20A PowerSoC DC-DC Step-Down Converter
- Meets all high-performance FPGA requirements
- Digital loop for fast transient response
- 0.5% set-point over line, load, and temperature
- Output ripple as low as 10 mV peak-peak
- Optimized FPGA configurations stored in NVM
- 20A continuous current with no thermal de-rating
- Wide 4.5V to 16V input voltage range
- 0.7V to 5V output voltage range
- High efficiency in 11 mm x 17 mm x 6.76 mm QFN package
- Programmable through PMBus™ interface
- VOUT margining, startup and shutdown delays
- Programmable warnings, faults and response
- Ability to operate without PMBus
- RVSET resistor for programmable VOUT
- RTUNE resistor for single resistor compensation
- Tracking pin for complex sequencing
- RoHS compliant, MSL level 3, 260°C reflow
- Footprint-compatible with: EM2130 (30A), EM2140 (40A)
The Intel® Enpirion® EM2120 is a fully integrated high-efficiency 20A DC-DC step down digital PowerSoC. The device delivers an outstanding combination of power density and conversion efficiency. The EM2120 integrates power switches, inductor, gate drive, controller, and compensation in a small 11 x 17 mm QFN package. The EM2120 is PMBus version 1.2 compatible, which helps to configure the device settings including output voltage, fault thresholds, and warnings depending on application needs.
With full integration of all DC-DC components into the package, the EM2120 is designed, characterized, and qualified as a system, resulting in a low-risk solution with low failure in time (FIT) rates. The EM2120 will dramatically improve the system reliability versus discrete power supply solutions.
Excellent thermal performance and custom designed magnetics enhances efficiency and enables the EM2120 to deliver 20A continuous operating current across the full industrial operating temperature range. The proprietary digital power conversion loop of the controller in the EM2120 is designed to meet the precise voltage and fast transient requirements of core rails of high-performance FPGAs, ASICs, DSPs, and processors within a total solution size of 360 mm2.
The EM2120 comes with a default configuration optimized for performance, which will assure seamless power up without the need for a communication bus. The user has the option to configure the EM2120 to suit specific applications, using the Intel Enpirion Digital Power Configurator Graphical User Interface (GUI) ecosystem. This tool has several tabs with options to program the device for settings such as output voltage, output capacitors, start-up slew rates, fault settings and allows for a single resistor based compensation (RTUNE) that makes designing for tight static and dynamic specifications intuitive and easy. The tool also provides real time telemetry of the device's IOUT, VOUT, VIN, and temperature.