EM2260xQI: 60A Digital PowerSoC DC-DC Step-Down Converter
- Meets all high-performance FPGA requirements
- Digital loop for fast transient response
- 0.5% set-point over line, load (0°C-85C), temperature
- 1% set-point over line, load (-40°C-85C), temperature
- Output ripple as low as 10 mV peak-peak
- Optimized FPGA configurations stored in NVM
- 60A continuous current with no thermal de-rating
- Wide 4.5V to 16V input voltage range
- 0.5V to 1.3V output voltage range
- High efficiency in 23mm x 18mm x 5mm QFN package
- Programmable through PMBus* interface
- VOUT margining, startup and shutdown delays
- Programmable warnings, faults, and response
- Ability to operate without PMBus
- RVSET resistor for programmable VOUT
- RTUNE resistor for single resistor compensation
- Tracking pin for complex sequencing
- RoHS compliant, MSL level 3, 260°C reflow
The Intel® Enpirion® EM2260 is a fully integrated high-efficiency 60A DC-DC step-down digital PowerSoC. The device delivers an outstanding combination of power density and conversion efficiency. The EM2260 integrates power switches, an inductor, gate drive, controller, and compensation in a small 23mm x 18mm QFN package. The EM2260 is PMBus version 1.3 compatible, which enables users to configure the device settings including output voltage, fault thresholds, and warnings depending on application needs.
With integration of the DC-DC step-down converter components into the package, the EM2260 is designed, characterized, and qualified as a complete power system, resulting in a low-risk solution with low failure in time (FIT) rates. The EM2260 will dramatically improve the system reliability versus discrete power supply solutions.
Excellent thermal performance and custom designed magnetics enhances efficiency and enables the EM2260 to deliver 60A continuous operating current across the full industrial operating temperature range for FPGA core voltage levels. The proprietary digital power conversion loop of the controller in the EM2260 is designed to meet the precise voltage and fast transient requirements of core rails of high-performance FPGAs, ASICs, DSPs, and processors, while maintaining a very thin 5mm height profile.
The EM2260 comes with a default configuration optimized for performance, which will assure seamless power up without the need for a communication bus. The user has the option to configure the EM2260 to suit specific applications using the Intel® Enpirion® Digital Power Configurator Graphical User Interface ecosystem. This tool has several tabs with options to program the device for settings such as output voltage, output capacitors, start-up slew rates, fault settings and allows for a single resistor based compensation (RTUNE) that makes designing for tight static and dynamic specifications intuitive and easy. The tool also provides real time telemetry of the device's output current (IOUT), output voltage (VOUT), input voltage (VIN), and temperature.