The recent development of hybrid-electric vehicles (HEV) and electric vehicles (EV) has accelerated innovation and improved efficiency in electric motor controls, power conversion, and battery management systems. However, the algorithms driving these systems require continuous upgrades and design changes to optimize performance.
ASIC development cycles are too long to meet these rapidly evolving market demands, and today’s microcontrollers (MCUs) are unable to keep up with escalating performance requirements. Our FPGAs deliver hardware failsafe logic for insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) bridge protection, efficient motor control with our model-based DSP Builder design flow, and hardware acceleration with faster control loops to improve energy efficiency, reduce noise, and improve the reliability of electrical motors.
To accelerate your time to market and increase productivity, we offer a variety of intellectual property (IP) and tools. Our motor control IP includes pulse-width modulation (PWM), analog-to-digital (ADC) and digital encoder interfaces, and integrated customizable field-oriented control (FOC) reference designs.
- Tighter control loops and faster switching speed for improved efficiencies
- Continuous algorithm improvements for better performance
Differentiation while lowering costs:
- Custom algorithm in model-based design methodologies for better drive feel and efficiency
- Integration of functions into fewer components
Long product life and functional safety
- Longer product life cycle >15 years
- Established Business Continuity Plan (BCP)
- Functional safety support since 2010
FPGA Use Case Example
- Reducing the size and weight of individual components in automotive system design is critical because it directly affects vehicle fuel efficiency and cost.
- Intel FPGAs enable faster switching frequencies (50 kHz) in DC/DC conversion applications, resulting in smaller, lighter, more efficient motors and external components. By migrating designs from traditional MCUs to FPGAs, it is possible to achieve a 5X improvement in switching frequencies and a 5X reduction in size in passive components (inductors and capacitors).
- In electric motor control, faster switching frequencies enable motor control loop update times in microseconds, which are required to meet the industry’s need to reduce system costs and weight by using smaller, faster spinning motors.
Motor Inverter and DC/DC Converter System
For Hardware Engineers:
Our Quartus® Prime design software is the programmable logic industry’s number-one software in performance and productivity for FPGA and CPLD design. Using the tool, you can accelerate your designs to achieve faster compile times, automatically generate interconnect logic with Qsys, and optimize power consumption with the PowerPlay Power Analyzer. Our free, no-license-required Quartus Prime Lite edition supports designs for automotive-grade FPGAs and CPLDs.
Intel PSG and its IP partners offer a broad portfolio of off-the-shelf, configurable IP cores optimized for our devices.
For Algorithm Engineers:
We offer a model-based design flow that simplifies your design effort, eliminating the need to develop your algorithm in VHDL or Verilog HDL. Our DSP Builder development tool shortens your algorithm design cycle, enabling you to design your DSP algorithm in MathWorks MATLAB/Simulink environment. It generates register transfer-level (RTL) code to integrate into our design environment easily. You can model and simulate your system, implement complex algorithms in hardware, partition the hardware/software elements, and fine-tune the performance to the exact needs of your application.
For Software Engineers:
Once you have selected a suitable processor for your embedded system, you can jump start your software development with our SoC Embedded Design Suite (EDS).
The SoC EDS is a comprehensive tool suite for embedded software development on Intel SoCs. It contains development tools, utility programs, run-time software and application examples to expedite firmware and application software of SoC embedded systems.
The Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS) is a comprehensive development package for Nios II software design. The Nios II EDS contains not just development tools, but also software, device drivers, bare metal Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) library, a commercial grade network stack software and an evaluation version of a real-time operating system.
Design Flows for Everyone
- FPGA-Based Control for Electric Vehicle and Hybrid Electric Vehicle Power Electronics white paper (PDF)
- Improving Battery Management System Performance and Cost with Intel FPGAs white paper (PDF)
- Motor Inverter System[TI1]
- DC/DC Converter System[TI2]
- Battery Management System[TI3]
- Functional Safety[TI4]
- DSP Builder
- SoC EDS
- Nios II EDS