Wireless demand will grow 14 fold from 2012 to 2017, doubling about every 18 months. In addition to driving significant changes in the RAN network, increasing data capacity drives mobile back-haul capacity and innovation. Mobile back-haul can be divided into wired and wireless segments with wireless back-haul accounting for about 50% of all mobile back-haul today. Wireless back-haul is comprised of traditional microwave bands (6-42 GHz) and millimeter-wave E and V bands. Microwave back-haul has an advantage in deployments where fiber has not been installed and retrofit is difficult such as urban environments. Since most data capacity growth will occur in these dense environments, we expect continued growth in the microwave/millimeter back-haul market. Traditional microwave bands support 112 MHz signal bandwidth which limits total throughput (without XPIC and MIMO) to about 1 Gbps (4096 QAM), while millimeter-wave E- and V- bands can support up to 2 GHz bandwidth providing up to 10 Gbps at 256 QAM.
Intel FPGAs offer an ideal platform for implementation of microwave back-haul solution because the modem, switch, and glue logic can all be implemented in a single Intel SoC device. This architecture allows the designer to select the FPGA SoC, analog and RF components for optimum cost/performance balance. For example, Intel's modem and switch IP is scalable which allows implementation on devices ranging from Cyclone IV and V, for low cost, to Arria V and Arria 10 for midrange and higher performance or higher integration levels. Similarly, Analog and RF components can be selected for each application to optimize cost/performance needs. Additionally, a FPGA-based solution allows for customer differentiation and faster feature velocity, which is a critical capability in the dynamic wireless market.
Intel, with our modem partner IP and switch IP, provide a complete solution for the microwave back-haul market including:
- Scalable microwave modem with
- Reed Solomon and LDPC Forward error correction
- Hit-less Adaptive Channel modulation
- Packet and TDM interfaces
- ITU-T SyncE and IEEE 1588v2-2008 support
- Turn-key to custom modem solutions
- Traditional microwave back-haul bands 6-42 GHz with
- scalable signal BW up to 224 MHz
- Up to 4096 QAM
- Up to 1 Gbps throughput
- E- and V- millimeter-wave bands
- Scalable signal BW up to 2 GHz
- up to 512 QAM
- Up to 10 Gbps throughput
- 1 Gbps to 10 Gbps scalable Ethernet switch solutions
- Minimal size/feature-set with backpressure
- Medium size with link aggregation, traffic manager, priority queuing
- Full-featured with MEF 2.0 certification.
Contact your local Intel sales representative or distributor to determine the best solution for your requirements.