Hardened DSP Blocks in FPGAs
Altera offers exclusive hard floating-point solutions. In 2015, Altera received Global FPGA Technology Innovation Leadership Award from Frost & Sullivan for the innovation in implementing hard- floating point DSP Blocks in FPGAs to offer greater throughput and efficiency in high performance computing. The revolutionized hardened DSP blocks is industry’s first DSP block with native support for IEEE 754 single-precision floating point in dedicated hardened circuitry.
This technological breakthrough allows the variable-precision DSP blocks to be configured at compile time into the IEEE 754 floating-point, standard-precision (18 bit), or high-precision (27 bit) mode. In floating-point mode, each DSP block provides a single-precision multiplier and single-precision adder enabling DSP designers with the following key benefits:
- Shortened development time: Using FPGAs with native floating-point operators eliminates the need to convert your floating-point designs to fixed-point designs, overcoming an already challenging and lengthy task. The productivity advantages of not having to convert to fixed-point design are further amplified as you iterate your design.
- Improved floating-point performance: Past floating-point implementations were limited in performance due to timing bottlenecks by additional logic and routing resources required to implement floating-point operators. With native support for floating point in the new variable-precision digital signal processing (DSP) blocks, floating-point operations can run at the frequency of the DSP blocks, delivering significantly higher performance.
- Higher resource efficiency: Past floating-point implementations required additional logic and routing resources, large complex floating-point designs would run out of logic before DSP blocks. DSP blocks with hardened floating point allow designers to fully utilize all floating-point operators in all of the DSP blocks while lowering power and enabling more logic to be available for additional features and functions.
DSP Builder is a Digital Signal Processing (DSP) design tool that allows push button Hardware Description Language (HDL) generation of DSP algorithms directly from MathWorks Simulink® environment. DSP Builder adds additional Altera libraries alongside existing Simulink libraries with the Altera DSP Builder Advanced Blockset and DSP Builder Standard Blockset. Check out the latest tool capabilities and detailed features by visiting the DSP Builder page.
Altera’s intellectual property (IP) portfolio includes a unique combination of DSP IP cores and Forward Error Detection and Correction IP cores that complement DSP Builder® Advanced Blockset Design Examples. Find the right DSP IP for your designs here.
- Visit the Stratix® 10 DSP feature page
- Visit the Arria® 10 variable-precision DSP block page
- Download The Industry’s First Floating-Point FPGA (PDF) backgrounder
- White Paper: Enabling Impactful DSP Designs on FPGAs with Hardened Floating-Point Implementation