This design demonstrates how to instantiate ALTGX or ALTLVDS separately from the Triple Speed Ethernet (TSE) MegaCore® function instance.
This design instantiates TSE MegaCore without selecting the GXB or LVDS I/O. ALTGX or ALTLVDS is instantiated separately and configured to interface with the TSE physical coding sublayer (PCS) through a ten-bit interface (TBI), as shown in Figure 1.
Download the files used in this example:
The use of this design is governed by, and subject to, the terms and conditions of the Altera Hardware Reference Design License Agreement.
Files in the download include:
- s4gx_tse_lvds.qar - Archive of TSE Design using ALTLVDS
- s4gx_tse_gxb.qar - Archive of TSE Design using ALTGX
Figure 1. Conceptual Block Diagram for TSE MAC + PCS Interface with ALTGX or ALTLVDS Instance through TBI
Configure ALTGX with the following settings:
- Under the General tab, set protocol to Basic
- Under the General tab, set channel width to 10
- Under the General tab, set data rate to 1.25Gbps and input clock frequency to 125MHz
Note: Instantiate ALTGX_RECONFIG block for Stratix® IV GX and Arria® II GX devices.
For TSE to ALTGX interface, connect the following signals:
- tbi_rx_clk (TSE) to rx_clkout (ALTGX)
- tbi_rx_d[9..0] (TSE) to rx_dataout[9..0] (ALTGX)
- tbi_tx_clk (TSE) to tx_clkout (ALTGX)
- tbi_tx_d[9..0] (TSE) to tx_datain[9..0] (ALTGX)
Configure ALTLVDS RX with the following settings:
- Under the General tab, enable Dynamic Phase Alignment (DPA) mode
- Under the General tab, set deserializer factor to 10
- Under the Frequency/PLL settings tab, set data rate to 1.25Gbps and input clock frequency to 125MHz
- Under the DPA settings 1 tab, check ‘rx_divfwdclk’ output port and bypass the DPA FIFO option
For the TSE to ALTLVDS interface, connect the following signals:
- tbi_rx_clk (TSE) to rx_divfwdclk (ALTLVDS)
- tbi_rx_d[0..9] (TSE) to rx_out[9..0] (ALTLVDS)
- tbi_tx_clk (TSE) to 125MHz system clock
- tbi_tx_d[0..9] (TSE) to tx_in[9..0] (ALTLVDS)
Note: The TSE TBI data bus to LVDS data bus connection is in reverse order.
Note: For ALTGX and ALTLVDS reset sequence, please refer to the device handbook.
- Triple Speed Ethernet (TSE) IP Core Resource Center
- Triple Speed Ethernet (TSE) MegaCore Function User Guide (PDF)
- Transceiver Configuration Guide (PDF)
- ALTLVDS Megafunction User Guide (PDF)
Design Examples Disclaimer
These design examples may only be used within Altera Corporation devices and remain the property of Altera. They are being provided on an “as-is” basis and as an accommodation; therefore, all warranties, representations, or guarantees of any kind (whether express, implied, or statutory) including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, non-infringement, or fitness for a particular purpose, are specifically disclaimed. Altera expressly does not recommend, suggest, or require that these examples be used in combination with any other product not provided by Altera.