MAX+PLUS II Student Edition Installation Instructions
Before You Install
Before you install the MAX+PLUS® II Student Edition version 10.1 software, you must have the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition self-extracting executable file (student101.exe) and a license file (license.dat).
You can obtain both the software and license file file from this web site. You can use the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition software on PCs running Windows 95/98/2000 or Windows NT 4.0. You may wish to print this page so that you can refer to it during installation.
|The MAX+PLUS II 10.1 Student Edition Software is a superset of the MAX+PLUS II BASELINE software. The additional features included in the student edition are enabled with a license file obtained from the Altera University Program web site, not from the MAX+PLUS II BASELINE licensing site. To use the additional features, you must have the correct license file. During installation and operation of the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition software the tool will be labeled as BASELINE. This is normal and to be expected. The features available with the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition software are controlled by the license file. Failure to follow the student edition instructions for installation and licensing as described on this page may result in incomplete licensing of the available student edition features.|
If you have a question or problem that is not answered by the information provided here or in the read.me file, please contact Altera® Applications at http://www.altera.com/mysupport.
- MAX+PLUS II software
- MAX+PLUS II Getting Started manual version 8.1 -- also available in four sections:
Installing the Software
To install the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition software, perform the following steps. You may wish to print out these instructions.
- Create a directory on your hard disk to store the installed MAX+PLUS II Student Edition files and your license file. For example, create the directory c:\student.
- Create a license.dat file as instructed in your MAX+PLUS II Student Edition license file e-mail and save it into the installation directory you created. A sample license.dat file is shown below:
- Begin installation by executing the student101.exe file, i.e., type the following command at a DOS or command prompt:
Double-click the file name in the Windows Explorer (Windows 95/98) or Windows NT Explorer (Windows NT 4.0).
- The MAX+PLUS II installation wizard is unpacked and launches. In the Welcome page, click Next.
- After reading the license agreement, click Yes.
- After reading the message in the Information page, click Next.
- Enter your name and school in the User Information page and click Next.
- Choose the items you wish to install in the Select Components page. By default, the Student Edition software, on-line help, and readme files are selected for installation.
- Specify a destination directory for the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition software installation. This directory should be the same one you created in step 1, which should also contain the license.dat file. The installation program specifies the c:\maxplus2 directory by default. If you have a previous installation of the MAX+PLUS II software, Altera recommends that you install the Student Edition version 10.1 software into another directory (e.g., c:\student). You can click on the Browse button to create or search for a directory (click OK to save your choice). Click Next when you are finished.
- Specify a destination folder for the work directory (e.g., c:\max2work). Click Next.
- Select a program folder in which the installation program will add program icons. Click Next and installation will begin.
- When installation is complete, you will be returned to your desktop. You can view the MAX+PLUS II 10.1 readme file by selecting it from the MAX+PLUS II 10.1 Baseline menu in the Start menu.
- Continue to the steps below to set up MAX+PLUS II Student Edition licensing.
Setting Up Licensing
To set up MAX+PLUS II Student Edition licensing, perform the steps below. If you have a MAX+PLUS II software guard attached to the parallel port of your PC, it can remain attached while you set up licensing and use the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition software. However, the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition software uses the license file provided to you via e-mail to enable available features, not the software guard.
- Start the MAX+PLUS II software. For example, choose MAX+PLUS II 10.1 Baseline from the Start menu.
- After reading the license agreement, click Yes.
- The MAX+PLUS II Copy Protection message box will as if you would like information on how to obtain a free MAX+PLUS II BASELINE license. Click No. The MAX+PLUS II BASELINE license does not include all of the features available in the student edition software.
- Choose License Setup (Options menu).
- Specify the license file by clicking Browse. In the Directories box, go to the directory in which you saved your license.dat file (e.g., c:\student), select the license.dat file in the Files box, and click OK.
- The Licensed Features box should contain the items below. Click OK to save your changes.
- Hierarchy Display
- Message Processor
- Text Editor
- Graphic Editor
- Symbol Editor
- Floorplan Editor
- Waveform Editor
- Functional Simulation
- Timing Simulation
- Timing Analyzer
- BASELINE devices
- Classic Family
- MAX 7000 Family
- Design Doctor
- EDIF Output
- SVF/Jam Output
- VHDL Output
- Verilog Output
- Waveform Entry
- EDIF Entry
- VHDL Entry
- Verilog Entry
See the figure below.
- Click OK to save your changes.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed and licensed the MAX+PLUS II Student Edition version 10.1 software.