IoT promises to be a broad driving force that will create significant new innovation, facilitate new business models and improve global society in unimaginable ways. Intel FPGA (formerly Altera®) solutions enable true flexibility and scalability to address IoT requirements; inherent hardware programmability and software programmability. This powerful combination allows you to enable autonomous operation, tailor your solution to your customer's specific requirements and scale solutions to meet fragmented and evolving market requirements.
From intelligent buildings and connected cars to smart power grids and city infrastructure, FPGAs democratize IoT innovation. Our solutions enable anyone to develop any application, scaling from single prototype units to hundreds of thousands of units in production. This elegantly mimics the wide variety of different solutions encompassed by IoT rather than a small number of very high volume systems.
Key Benefits of Intel FPGAs and SoCs
- Meet fragmented IoT application requirements and optimize yout time-to-market with the flexibility to customize in both hardware and software
- Enable inherent, robust security through hardware crypto acceleration and monolithic ARM processor integration
- Support diverse and evolving IoT gateway requirements through flexible protocol switching/bridging and secure remote in-field upgrades
- Extract maximum value from data analytics at the edge and in the data center with the industry’s highest performance-per-watt and performance-per-$
- Preserve R&D investment across a broad portfolio of IoT solutions enabling solutions from things to gateways to the data center
Take a 3 minute tour from the edge and back on the impact IoT is having on data processing and how FPGAs, like Stratix 10, are an invaluable part of meeting future processing needs.
Forbes Report: Insights into the coming data avalanche and how Intel’s acquisition of Altera will impact data management and the semiconductor industry.
At the heart of many Smart City applications are "intelligent vision" systems for environmental and weather monitoring, parking management, retail analytics and enhanced public safety. Intel® FPGA SoCs enable high-performance and real-time video analytics for these applications.
Industry 4.0, or the fourth wave of the Industrial Revolution, leverages connectivity and autonomous operation to create robust industrial IoT applications. Our PLC solutions integrate M2M and secure enterprise application interoperability over cloud with OPC-UA, to deliver clear cost, power and TTM benefits for factory automation systems.
We provide scalable, high-performance solutions to meet the requirements of today’s mission-critical Smart Grid functions, such as control loop, grid communications, network redundancy and security.
Healthcare systems can leverage IoT to enable fast and accurate aggregation of patient vital signs and other data from networked devices. These applications promise improved diagnostics and elimination of manual processes. FPGAs have the computing power to manage medical data aggregation, enabling improved patient care.
Connected Car applications, commonly called V2X (Vehicle-to-Anything), are seen as the next step for the autonomous vehicle to enable further improvements in safety and fuel efficiency. Intel® FPGAs are ideally suited for optimization and acceleration of evolving V2X communication encryption algorithms.
The data center is central to the IoT as it processes data from millions of devices and sensors for highly optimized autonomous operation. Today, Intel® FPGAs are being used to improve throughput, response time and energy efficiency through the offloading of compute workloads from the server's central processing units (CPUs) onto FPGAs.
- Altera's Industry 4.0-ready, Single-chip PLC wins ACE Award
- Heterogeneous Computing Meets the Data Center
- The Internet of Things Can Drive Innovation
- The IoT Spurs the Pursuit of Low Power
- Wearing the Architecture: Evolution in Wearable Electronics
- Inside-Out Security for the IoT
- Learn How FPGAs accelerate Machine Learning