You must install the Altera® USB-BlasterTM or Altera USB-Blaster II download cable driver before you can use it to program devices with Quartus® II software.
The first time the USB-Blaster download cable is plugged in, the Windows Vista Found New Hardware dialog box prompts you to install the driver. (Note: Do not use the Add Hardware Wizard from the Control Panel.)
The USB-Blaster II device drivers require manual installation so that the cable will be properly recognized. Please refer to the instructions below.
The Altera On-Board USB-Blaster II cable appears as Altera USB-Blaster (unconfigured) when first attached to your system. After it has been configured by the Quartus II software, it will appear as Altera USB-Blaster II (JTAG interface) and then Altera USB-Blaster II (SystemConsole interface). You might need to install drivers for each of these interfaces in ways described below.
You must have system administration (Administrator) privileges to install the USB-Blaster download cable driver.
Driver Installation for Altera USB-Blaster
- Plug the USB-Blaster download cable into PC. The Found New Hardware dialog box will appear.
- Select Locate and install driver software (recommended).
- Select Don't search online.
- When you are prompted to Insert the disc that came with your USB-Blaster, select I don’t have the disc. Show me other options.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software (advanced) when you see the Windows couldn’t find driver software for your device.
- Click Browse, and browse to the <Path to Quartus II installation>\drivers\usb-blaster directory.
- Note: Do not select the x32 or x64 directories.
- Click OK.
- Select the Include subfolders option, and click Next.
- If you are prompted Windows can’t verify the publisher of this driver software, select Install this driver software anyway in the Window Security dialog box.
- The installation begins.
- When The software for this device has been successfully installed appears, click Close.
- To complete your installation, set up programming hardware in the Quartus II software.
Driver Installation for Altera USB-Blaster II
- Plug the USB-Blaster II cable into PC.
- Open the Device Manager, and right-click on the Unknown device under the Other devices branch.
- Select Update Driver Software.
- Select Browse my computer for driver software.
- Enter the location of the Quartus II software USB-Blaster II driver files directory (<Path to Quartus II installation>\drivers\usb-blaster-ii) in the Search for driver software in this location field.
- Click Next.
- Click Install in the Would you like to install this device software? Windows security dialog box.
- Close the Update Driver Software - Altera USB-Blaster II (Unconfigured) successful installation notification. The Device Manager now shows a new branch called JTAG cables with an Altera USB-Blaster II (Unconfigured) node.
- Open the Quartus II Programmer. Within a few seconds, the JTAG cables branch displays two nodes: Altera USB-Blaster II (JTAG interface) and Altera-USB Blaster II (System Console interface).