ModelSim-Altera Edition Software
- Recommended for simulating all FPGA designs (Arria®, Cyclone®, Stratix® series FPGA designs and MAX® series CPLDs)
- 33 percent faster simulation performance than ModelSim®-Altera® Starter Edition software
- No line limitations
- Buy today for $945
ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition Software
- Support for simulating small FPGA designs
- 10,000 executable line limitations
- Free, no license required
Table 1. ModelSim-Altera Software Products
Altera Web Edition (1)
Altera Starter Edition
Altera Edition (2)
No license required
$945, includes software
|Quartus® II software
Web Edition software
|Quartus II Web Edition and
Subscription Edition software
|Device support||CPLDs and small FPGAs||All Altera devices
(Including MAX CPLDs, Arria, Cyclone, and Stratix series FPGAs)
|OS support||Windows XP||Windows, Linux (more details)|
Design size support
10,000 executable line limit
10,000 executable line limit
|All design sizes (3)
No line limitations
Download previous versions
- Starting with Quartus II software v9.0, ModelSim-Altera Web Edition software has been discontinued. Instead, you should use ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition software or purchase ModelSim-Altera Edition software for faster simulation performance.
- The ModelSim-Altera Edition software requires a valid license. The ModelSim-Altera Edition software license expires 15 months after the date of purchase. Every 15 months you must regenerate your license file in the Self-Service Licensing Center to renew your license for the specific ModelSim-Altera Edition software version that you purchased.
- ModelSim-Altera Edition software supports designs of up to 3,000 instances. Instances from Altera's pre-compiled libraries do not count towards the 3,000 instance limitation.
- Altera licenses Mentor Graphics® ModelSim-Altera simulation software to customers with Altera Quartus II software subscriptions. Both ModelSim-Altera Edition and ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition are available for Web Edition and Subscription Edition users.
- ModelSim-Altera Edition—A license is required (paid)
- ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition—No license is required (free)
Shorten your FPGA verification time by using the ModelSim-Altera software in your FPGA Design Flow. ModelSim-Altera software (view full size screenshot) supports behavioral and gate-level simulations, including VHDL or Verilog testbenches, for all Altera devices.
|ModelSim-Altera Software Video Demo
How to perform a functional and a timing simulation with the Mentor Graphics ModelSim-Altera software
ModelSim-Altera Software Q & A
- Is the ModelSim-Altera Edition software the same as the ModelSim PE or the ModelSim SE software?
- How do I upgrade my version of the ModelSim-Altera Edition software?
No, the ModelSim-Altera Edition software is licensed to support designs written in 100 percent VHDL and 100 percent Verilog language, and does not support designs that are written in a combination of VHDL and Verilog language, also known as mixed HDL. Mixed HDL support is available as options in the PE and DE versions of ModelSim from Mentor Graphics. ModelSim-Altera Edition software only supports Altera gate-level libraries. The ModelSim-Altera Edition software includes the base features of ModelSim PE, including behavioral simulation, HDL testbenches, and Tcl scripting. However, ModelSim PE optional features are not supported in the ModelSim-Altera Edition software and the simulation performance of the ModelSim-Altera Edition software is slower than that of the ModelSim PE and DE software.
ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition software is the same as ModelSim-Altera Edition software except for two areas. ModelSim-Altera Starter Edition's simulation performance is lower than ModelSim-Altera Edition's, and has a line limit of 10,000 executable lines compared to the unlimited number of lines allowed in the ModelSim-Altera Edition software.
Contact your local Mentor Graphics sales office to upgrade your ModelSim-Altera software to ModelSim PE, ModelSim DE software or Questa advanced simulator. Contact information is available on the Mentor Graphics website.