Developed in partnership with ARM, the ARM* Development Studio 5* (DS-5*) Intel® SoC FPGA Edition is an end-to-end suite of tools for embedded C/C++ software development on any Intel SoC FPGAs. It combines almost all features of the ARM DS-5 Professional Edition with powerful FPGA-adaptive debugging capabilites, providing unmatched visibility and control of your SoC FPGA.
- The ARM DS-5 Intel SoC FPGA Edition tool is installed as part of the Intel SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite (SoC EDS).
- Learn more about the DS-5 tool from ARM.
Comprehensive Development Environment
|Eclipse-based IDE provides a great workbench with ARM's assembly editor and project management tools||Compile and build code for high performance or small footprint with included ARM Compiler 5 or 6||Debug Bare-metal, Linux*, and Android* application code with low-cost Intel FPGA Download Cable II||Optimize and make your Linux or bare-metal application more efficient with Streamline* and Trace|
- Cross-trigger and debug across the CPU-FPGA boundary to find hidden bugs
- Correlate events between the FPGA and CPU along with timestamp data
- Perform bare-metal debug with the Intel FPGA Download Cable II that is built-in to the Intel SoC FPGA development kits (also available as an external JTAG debug cable)
- Improve productivity by importing custom intellectual property (IP) register definitions from the Platform Designer (formerly Qsys) and the Intel Quartus® Prime software
- Unleash the power of the CoreSight* System Trace Macrocell (STM) Debug architecture
- View timeline charts and heat maps for software that executes on target
- Profile the system accurately by finding the CPU utilization per function non-intrusively
- Debug multiple processor cores simultaneously and control them individually
- With Streamline, visualize the performance bottlenecks in your embedded software
- Supports Linux and Android applications and as of SoC EDS version 18.0, also supports bare-metal applications
- Set up and configure the ARM performance counters to dig deeper
- Optimize your code for the best performance
ARM Development Studio 5 (DS-5) Intel SoC FPGA Edition
Available with Paid License for SoC EDS Standard and Pro Editions
DS-5 Community Edition
Available with Free License for SoC EDS Standard and Pro Editions
DS-5 Intel SoC FPGA Edition is license managed. The license shipped with select Intel SoC FPGA development kits includes one year of support and maintanence from ARM starting on the date of purchase or renewal. It supports all ARM processor subsystems on Intel SoC FPGAs and provides exceptional bare-metal debug and trace capabilities. DS-5 Intel SoC FPGA Edition includes multiple compilers including the ARM Compilers 5 and 6 so you can optimize your code for size and performance.
DS-5 Community Edition is free. It includes access to a limited feature-set enabling Android and Linux application debug and OS-awareness. DS-5 Community Edition is useful for application-level development.
See the comparison table and release history below for details.
|Feature||ARM DS-5 Community Edition||
ARM DS-5 Intel SoC FPGA Edition
|Application Performance Analysis||Streamline Performance Analysis||Limited Subset|
|Bare-Metal Debug||Intel FPGA Download Cable II|
|Linux Kernel Debug|
|Processor Trace||Coresight STM Trace|
|ARM Compiler 5|
|ARM Compiler 6|
|OS Awareness||Linux, Android, Real-time OS|
|OS Application Debug||Linux Application debug (GDB)|
|Android Application debug (ADB)|
|Price||Activation Code or Serial Number||Free with SoC EDS Installation||
For a complete comparison chart for all editions of the DS-5 tool, visit ARM.
SoC EDS / DS-5 Release History
|Nov 2013||May 2014||Nov 2014||May 2015||Nov 2015||May 2016||Nov 2016||May 2017||Nov 2017||May 2018|
|SoC EDS version||13.1||14.0||14.1||15.0||15.1||16.0||16.1||17.0||17.1||18.0|
|DS-5 version in SoC EDS Standard||5.15.0||5.18.0||5.20.0||5.20.2||5.22.0||5.23.1||5.25||5.25||5.27.1||5.28.1|
|DS-5 version in SoC EDS Pro||5.26.2||5.27.1||5.28.1|